On May 14 through May 25, 2014, the 67th Cannes Film Festival takes place in Cannes, France.
The festival has a rich history that serves to foster the development of the art of filmmaking in all its forms, while encouraging networking and interaction between all those involved in the film industry, thereby uniting filmmakers world-wide. With the creation of itsMarche’ du Film in 1959, the Festival soon took on a professional dimension. Other notable resources include Producer’s Network, which provides producers from around the world with a forum for discussing their projects, and the Short Film Corner, an area dedicated to short films, both of which were launched in 2004.
Here are some interesting “in case you didn’t know” facts about Cannes:
- The correct pronunciation of the city is “can”.
- Around 4,000 journalists from 75 countries attend the Festival each year.
- The Festival lasts for approximately two weeks.
- The top award at the festival is the Palme d’Or, the prize for best film. It was first presented in 1955, replacing another “Grand Prix” prize.
- The top award for a first film is the Camera d’Or, presented by an independent jury. It was first presented in 1978.
The festival is divided into five sections:
1. In Competition – films up for the Palme d’Or.
2. Out of Competition – films not competing for the top prize, but there for the publicity.
3. Un Certain Regard – usually challenging art films that aren’t quite up to competing in the mainstream.
4. Cinéfondation – works done by film students.
5. The Market – started in the early 1960s, a place to buy and sell films.
An estimated 10,500 buyers and sellers from around the world flock to Cannes every year, making it the number one international market for film professionals.
If you know anything about Cannes, you also know that fashion plays a major role in the annual festivities. In our book, these celebs got it right!
Adriana Lima in Alexandre Vauthier Couture
Frieda Pinto in Oscar de la Renta
Hilary Swank in Atelier Versace
images courtesy of: ghanaceleb.chris.netdna-cdn.com; etonline.com/fashion